Restoration work can be costly so knowing what your homeowners insurance covers is crucial.

What Restoration Work is Covered By Your Homeowner’s Insurance: What to Look Out For and Where to Find It

Disclaimer: Because policies vary, there is no guarantee that your policy will cover the same type of restoration work.

That being said, many homeowners want a good idea of what to expect from their insurance company when filing a claim for disaster restoration. Below is a general explanation of what we have seen covered by our clients’ homeowners’ insurance policies.

Restoration Work for Water Damage is typically not covered.

We have seen customers’ claims denied for flood damage caused by outside water sources. This means that water damage from leaking window wells, cracks in the foundation, or sump pumps is not always paid for by the insurance company. Insurance will cover sudden and accidental damage but typically not cover long-term damage as it is considered negligence.


Water Damage Often Covered by Insurance Policies:

  • Burst pipes
  • Leaking plumbing
  • Malfunctioning appliances (Washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators)
  • Overflowing toilet, sink, or bathtub
  • Water damage caused by children

Fire Damage Often Covered by Insurance Policies:

  • Electrical
  • Cooking
  • Malfunctioning Appliances (Toasters, clothes dryers, microwave ovens)
  • Candles

Biohazard Damage Often Covered by Insurance Policies:

  • Crime Scene
  • Suicide
  • Unattended death
  • Medical emergency
  • Infectious disease
  • Accidental

Types of Restoration Work Typically Covered by Insurance Policies:

  • Labor
  • PPE (protective equipment)
  • Protective supplies
    • Tape, floor covering, plastic sheeting
  • Equipment
  • Cleaning of affected belongings
  • Disassembling (or detachment) and reassembling (or reattachment) of appliances, countertops, cabinets, etc.

Note that insurance companies work in terms of ACV or RCV.

ACV is the actual cash value of the item needing replacement. This means that the insurance company will pay for the item or material up to the value it is determined to have. That is the original value with use and depreciation subtracted from it.

RCV is the item’s replacement cost value. The replacement value is unaffected by depreciation or use, so the insurance will pay for the total cost of the item.

If your policy mentions ACV but not RCV, the value of all of your belongings, including their actual cash value, will likely be covered.

Check Your Policy

While rare, an insurance company may only cover some of the costs and situations typically covered for our customers. The only way to know for sure is to check your insurance policy.

Contact your insurance provider to learn how to check your policy. You can review your insurance policy online by logging into your insurance account. Many accounts give you access to a digital copy of your policy, but others can request a physical copy.

In any case, Flood and Fire Solutions have been working with insurance companies for years. If you have questions, we can help you with this process.